Galilei-Straße, Meran (Merano)
Tel.: +39 329 0186390
week before Easter–6 Jan
Tue–Sat 10.30–5 pm
Sun, public holidays 10.30–1 pm
The Prince’s Castle lies at the foot of the Mount Küchelberg in the heart of the city. The oldest renovation dates from the time around 1470 by Duke Sigmund of Austria. The Tyrolean princes used the castle as their lodgings during their stays in the city. Thanks to tradition-conscious inhabitants of Merano, the castle was not demolished in 1875 but renovated. Today, the Prince's Castle is a first class object to study the late medieval life habits. Furniture of everyday use, kitchen utensils, one of the oldest surviving tiled stove, portraits, musical instruments and weapons, revive a bygone era.