South Tyrol for Ukrainian Refugees

Прочитайте це українською Leggi questo testo in italiano

The province of South Tyrol offers refuge and protection to refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine. In order to coordinate the aid offers in the best possible way, a task force coordinated by the departments of Social Affairs and Civil Protection, was set up at the beginning of March.

The information on this page will be regularly updated. General information can also be obtained by calling the citizens’ helpline (800 751 751).

Information for people from Ukraine

All people who currently have to flee Ukraine will be offered protection within the EU area and can enter South Tyrol, Italy without a visa.

Do refugees have to register officially and if so: where?

Current information from the Province of Bolzano’s Department for Ukrainian citizens fleeing the war in their homeland:

Ukrainian citizens who do not have a Schengen entry stamp from an Italian border or who are not staying in a hotel are not required to provide proof of an entry visa. Neither are they required to apply for international protection for stays up to 90 days. However, they are urged to submit their declaration of stay themselves at either the State Police Office (Questura / Quästur) or the Police Station within eight days of their arrival.

Those who take in Ukrainian citizens are obliged to notify the local security authority of these stays within 48 hours, in accordance with the provisions of Article 7 of the Unified Text on Immigration.

Opening hours of the Immigration Office of the State Police Office (Questura / Quästur) and Police Stations

  • State Police Office in Bolzano: Monday - Saturday 8.30 am – 1.30 pm.

Further informations: Immigration Office on 0471 947616 (Monday -  Friday 8.30 am - 1.30 pm).

The Brennero, Merano, Bressanone, San Candido Police Stations are open from Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 12.30 pm.

Note: Access to the police offices must comply with current security measures.

Can official registration be made at the Welcome Center?

No. Infopoint for the Volontarius Association, via Raiffeisen 5, Bolzano (opposite the bus station) is obliged to refer Ukrainian citizens to the Immigration Office of the State Police Office and the Police Station.

As a refugee, do I have to provide proof of a valid coronavirus vaccination?

According to current government regulations, anyone entering Italy (and therefore South Tyrol) must comply with the following provisions related to coronavirus protection regulations:

  • Completion of the European Digital Passenger Location Forms (EU-dPLF)
  • Possession of a Green Pass (vaccinations with the Sputnik vaccine are not recognized in Italy, thus Sputnik vaccinated persons will not receive a Green Pass but must have the vaccination with one of the vaccines recognized in Italy - for more information see
  • If you do not have a Green Pass, you must quarantine for 5 days upon arrival, after which you must present a negative antigen test.

Do all refugees have to stay in an official shelter?

No, admission to a CAS reception/intake center (Centri di accoglienza straordinaria - Emergency reception centers) - under the state admission program - is always at the request of the person concerned, e.g. if they have no other means of accommodation. The application can be submitted to the infopoint of the Volontarius Association (via Raiffeisen 5, Bolzano, opposite the bus station).

In principle, refugees from Ukraine have freedom of movement, so they can also stay with relatives, acquaintances or private individuals, corporations, organizations, companies.

Is it possible for Ukrainian citizens who have yet to enter in Italy to rent accommodation independently and on a long-term basis?
Is there a direct number they can call?

Ukrainian citizens can also basically look for and rent accommodation on their own. For short- and medium-term accommodation, they can contact the infopoint of the Volontarius association.

Is it possible to choose a specific CAS reception center?

Admission to a CAS reception/intake center is based on specific situations of necessity, i.e. when there is no other (private) accommodation option and/or at the request of the person concerned. It is not possible to choose the intake center or the place of stay. If admission to a public facility is refused without a valid reason, you must sign a waiver and seek an autonomous accommodation within 6 days.

Who is in charge of the reception/intake center?

Volontarius, Red Cross and Caritas on behalf of the Province and on the basis of an agreement between the Province and the Government Commissariat for the Province of Bolzano provide services at the centers.

Which institution or organization can refugees (who are not housed in CAS reception/intake centers) turn to for food?
Or is this regulated autonomously by the accommodation provided?

In many South Tyrolean towns, charities associations provide food to needy people free of charge or at low cost. The respective host municipality can forward the relevant contact.

Where can refugees apply for an Italian tax code?

At the State Police Office in Bolzano. As soon as they apply for a residence permit at the State Police Office, a tax number will be issued. This is necessary, among other things, to apply for the AltoAdige/Südtirol Pass, the pass for the low-cost use of public transport.

Opening hours of the Immigration Office of the State Police Office (QuesturaQuästur) and Police Stations

  • State Police Office in Bolzano: Monday - Saturday 8.30 am – 1.30 pm.

Further informations: Immigration Office on 0471 947616 (Monday -  Friday 8.30 am - 1.30 pm).

The Brennero, Merano, Bressanone, San Candido Police Stations are open from Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 12.30 pm.

Can refugees from Ukraine engage in paid employment?

Yes, according to art. 7 of the ‘Civil Protection Ordinance No. 872 of 4 March 2022’, Ukrainian citizens may be employed on a permanent or seasonal basis. They can also work independently, as long as they have submitted the declaration of presence at the State Police Office or the competent police station. Since 5th April 2021, refugee people who are already in possession of the ‘cedolino’ (the temporary receipt with photograph issued by the State Police Office) and the tax code can be employed.

Where can refugees get information about job opportunities?

They can find information about job vacancies at the local employment centers (in Bolzano, Merano, Bressanone, Brunico, Silandro or Egna). Various job offers are also available online on the eJobLavoro platform at (website available in German and Italian).

Will refugees receive economic assistance?

Economic support from the state was established at the end of March. Refugees from Ukraine who have entered Italy in the last few weeks and are housed privately are entitled to a monthly contribution of € 300. Children/minors are entitled to a monthly contribution of € 150. This sum is intended directly for Ukrainian refugees and is used to cover their basic needs and any possible expenses for food and accommodation. The benefit is currently limited to 3 months.

The contribution can only be requested online (, the site is available in Italian, English and Ukrainian). The Italian tax code (temporary or definitive) and the temporary residence permit are required. Additional information about accommodation (where, from when and for how long) should be also been provided. A mobile phone number and an e-mail address must be provided too, which will be used to send the notification of payment of the contribution. These contact details do not necessarily have to belong to the applicant but can also be those of relatives or acquaintances. After completing the application, the applicant will receive a notification from the state authority which is required for the payment of the contribution. Payment of the contribution is made at post offices: after receiving an SMS from Poste Italiane, the applicant will get the monthly contribution upon presentation of the SMS, the tax code and an identity document (e.g. passport). Please note: the contribution must be collected personally by the applicant!

If the post office refuses to pay the contribution due to the lack of a translation of the identity document, the National Civil Defence will invite to call the toll-free number 800 840 840 (active from 8 am to 8 pm from Monday to Saturday, the service is available in Italian). The reference post office and postal code must be indicated.

Further information is available on the website of the Civil Protection Department (website available in Italian, English and Ukrainian).

Refugees who are housed in public accommodation (or in facilities that are financed with public money) cannot apply for this contribution. Refugees housed in CAS reception/intake centers already receive a contribution ("pocket money"). Refugees living in other public facilities receive board and lodging.

Where can refugees receive medical care?

In principle refugees are entitled to care from the services of the South Tyrolean Health Service. In the case of persons who are not yet registered with the Provincial Health Service, care is provided on the basis of an STP Code (Stranieri Temporaneamente Presenti).

A medical clinic and the STP station for Ukrainian refugees is located at the hospital in Bolzano. Both are located in the former emergency room.  The entrance is the same as the outpatient clinic; you can reach the clinic by walking along the corridor on the right, then at the end turning on the left and continuing after the obstetrics and gynecology clinics. The route is indicated by signs. The room does not yet have a number. The STP code will be issued by the administrative staff of the South Tyrol Health Authority. The hours for both the medical examination and the issuing of the STP code are 8.30 am to 12.30 pm daily.

Where can refugees be tested with a swab?

The test stations of the South Tyrolean Health Service are accessible to refugees. The tests are free of charge and can be done without pre-registration. Refugees need to show their identity card and the Italian tax code or the STP code (‘Straniero Temporaneamente Presente’, foreigner who is temporarily resident in Italy). The test can be done in these places:

  • Bolzano (hospital car park, pavilion W): antigen test from Monday to Friday from 8.30 to 9.00 am, PCR test from 9.30 to 11.30 am
  • Merano (Julia barracks, via Caserme 4): antigen test and PCR test Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8.30 am to 12.00 pm
  • Bressanone (hospital, via Dante 51): antigen test from Monday to Friday from 9.30 to 11.30 am, PCR test from 7.30 to 9.30 am
  • Brunico (former tribunal, Graben/Bastioni 7): PCR tests Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7.30 am to 8 am

Does anyone provide assistance for adults, adolescents and children with cognitive, physical and sensory disabilities?

Yes, Lebenshilfe South Tyrol offers the necessary support. During the first counselling session, the staff of Lebenshilfe assesses the individual situation, determines the needs, and initiates any necessary support measures. The aim is to make the everyday life of refugees with disabilities as acceptable as possible by providing assistance and practical support. Further information is available online contacting

Are there any psychological support or counselling services that refugees can turn to?

Refugees in need of psychological support can contact the following reference points of the health districts:

  • Psychological service MERANO, Via Rossini 1, 39012 Merano, Tel. 0473 251000
  • Psychological service BRESSANONE, Via Dante 51, 39042 Bressanone, Tel. 0472 813100
  • Psychological service BRUNICO, Via Andreas-Hofer 25, 39031 Brunico, Tel. 0474 586220
  • Psychological service BOLZANO, Via Galileo-Galilei 2/E, 39100 Bolzano, Tel. 0471 435001

An overview of all existing services can also be found on (website available in German and Italian).

Can Ukrainian children attend Kindergarten or school? Where do their parents have to apply? Which documents are required?

Children and young people with compulsory schooling have the right and the duty to attend school as soon as they are permanently resident in Italy and have stable housing.

Attendance at kindergarten is not compulsory. The prerequisite for admission to kindergarten is compulsory vaccination according to state regulations for children and the availability of places.

To enroll in the school or kindergarten, identity documents and tax identification numbers of the parent/guardian and the ones of children/young people to be enrolled are required. The tax code and other additional documents (e.g. school certificates, certificates of residence) may also be submitted later.

For kindergarten, primary and secondary school, children, and adolescents must be registered with the relevant educational institution of the area (more information can be obtained, for example, from the municipality of residence). For upper secondary school, there is basically a free choice of school.

The reference points for the reception of refugee children and young people in educational facilities are the local language centers:

Bolzano: Verena Debiasi,, 0471/417265 and Fabio Casati,, 0471 41 72 68

Bressanone: Klara Oberhollenzer,, 0472/278221

Brunico: Sabine Kurz,, 0474/530186

Merano: Irene Windegger,, 0473/252207

Silandro: Florian Leimgruber,, 0473/746474

South Tyrolean Unterland: Emanuela Atz,, 0471/824166

Can refugees study, teach or do research at the university in South Tyrol?

The Free University of Bozen-Bolzano supports refugee students and researchers from Ukraine. Information is available on the website of the University of Bozen-Bolzano in German, Italian and English:

As a refugee, can I use the public transport? Are there any free tickets available?

Yes, residents with Ukrainian citizenship (as well as people arriving from Ukraine following current events) can use local public transport free of charge to reach their first place of destination or reception within a maximum of 5 days from the date of entry.

After registration at the State Police Office, they receive a certificate (declaration of presence on Italian territory, application for a temporary residence permit or similar certificates). This allows them to use public transport free of charge for a maximum period of 30 days after registration. When checking tickets, the certificate issued by the State Police Office must be shown together with the identity card/passport.

After having received the Italian tax code (at the State Police Office), it is possible to apply for the AltoAdige Pass (for adults) or the AltoAdige Pass abo+ (for children from 6 to 18 years old). The ticket will be provided free of charge until 15th September (for abo+) or until 2000 kilometers have been covered (for AltoAdige Pass). Further information is available online at (website available in German, Italian and English).

Are there special measures for pet owners?

In the year 2021 Ukraine notified Rabies Bulletin Europe 132 cases in wild mammals (of which 121 in red fox) and 265 cases in domestic animals (of which 109 in dogs and 130 in cats ). This means that rabies, a disease for which only prevention can be done, but otherwise deadly and without cure, is widespread throughout the Ukrainian territory and represents a serious problem there. In order to prevent the spread of the disease in countries where it has not been present for decades, the Ministry of Health has issued indications regarding the introduction of pets following Ukrainian refugees.

All pets introduced as a result of Ukrainian refugees must be communicated to the Veterinary Service of the Healthcare Authority or by telephone (0471 435730) or better by email for Bolzano to (, for Bressanone to, for Brunico to and for Merano to Subsequently, the owners will be contacted to subject the animals to eventual identification, vaccination, antibody titration and eventual quarantine. It is necessary, until these investigations are made, to keep these animals as isolated as possible from people and other animals, and conducted with a leash and muzzle. We ask all the actors involved to collaborate in order to be able to peacefully host these animals without, on the other hand, putting the health of people and animals at risk.

Click here for further informations available in Ukrainian and in Russian.

Can people arriving from Ukraine attend free Italian and German language courses?

Ukrainian citizens wishing to attend a free Italian or German course can contact the following language agencies:

German and Italian courses:

alpha beta piccadilly Tel. 0471 978600

Azb cooperform Tel. 0471 970954

Italian courses:

Centro Studi e Ricerche "A. Palladio" Tel. 0471 933108

Voltaire European Education Centre Tel. 0471 288003

Learning Centre (Tel. 0471 279744)

Those who wish to learn or improve these languages independently can find information on the provincial website: (website available in German and Italian).